Google Custom Search

Loading

Sunday, April 29, 2012

Leg Length Discrepancy(LLD) and external heel lift

 Leg length discrepancy  or LLD is a condition where one leg is shorter than the other. It could be classified as true or functional. True LLD is when the femur or tibia is short and functional is when the pelvis is not properly aligned.

 Working in the Pacific Island of CNMI is a challenge due to its location. We are limited in almost all resources, nonetheless, we do the best we can with what we have.

After evaluating a baby with LLD and finding out it is true LLD, I can't wait for June or December for a team from Shriners Hospital to come and evaluate him.Furthermore, baby is already walking using a posterior walker.  LLD can cause scoliosis and back pain.Thorough evaluation reveals Left leg is shorter by 2.2 cm. I ask baby's parents  for his shoe so I can add an external heel lift.They gladly gave it to me and brought it to the office. I told them I will be bringing it on my next visit.
Since it is just temporary pending the Shriners team evaluation, I made use of  cardboard  to make external heel lift. I traced the heel of shoe onto the cardboard and made a lot until it was already 2.2cm when stacked together.


 I traced and made cut outs of cardboard and stacked them together using a paper tape.




Side view of the shoe with the lift. I used paper tape to hold together the cut out card board heels and scotch tape to hold it onto the shoe. Dad and mom were informed to reinforce tape if it loosens up.


Bottom view of both shoes

After the baby wore the modified shoe, he was walking with very minimal limp to none.
Parents are happy while waiting for Shriners this June 2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Bloggers Widget

Babysdevelopment - Find me on Bloggers.com